Friday, October 19, 2007

The Lawman, The Lawbreaker, and The Law

I spent the morning at my favorite fishing hole--the Santa Clarita Superior Courthouse. I sat down on a bench and began to pray. Here is the entry in my prayer journal:

Friday, October 19, 2007 (0840) -- Courthouse
"Lord, I thank You for today. Thank You for allowing me to be here. Father, help me to set aside any and all fear. Replace it with a love for the lost so great that I can do nothing else but share the gospel. Give me spiritual eyes to see and spiritual ears to hear. Lord, allow me, by Your grace, to speak the truth in love to anyone who will listen."

Then I sat, watched, and listened. My eyes and ears were drawn to a particular young man. He was dressed "gangster-style" (although dress is no longer a definite indicator of gang involvement). He asked another young man for a cigarette, and the two began to talk to each other. I heard the young man I was watching mention several people by name--by gang monikers.

After a few minutes, the young man walked away, toward the parking lot. I watched him as he stood looking into the parking lot, making a cell phone call. It looked like he was waiting for a ride.

I got up off the bench and walked toward the young man. "He's the one." I thought.

"Hi. How are you doing, today?" I asked.

With an obvious look of suspicion, the young man said, "Fine."

I introduced myself and learned the young man's name was Fred. I explained to Fred that I was conducting interviews with people that might be used on Way of the Master Radio. I asked Fred if I could interview him, basing our conversation upon two questions: Would you consider yourself to be a good person? And, what do you think happens to a person when they die.?

Fred agreed to do the interview. Click here to listen to what happened next. It's just amazing!

Fred was proud and self-righteous when the conversation began. But not so by the end of the conversation. Fred and I talked for another 15 minutes, after I turned off the recorder.

We shook hands and said good-bye. As I walked away, Fred called out to me. "This means we're friends, now; doesn't it?"

"Yes, it does! You have my number (I had given him a couple of my gospel tracts). If you have any questions give me a call."

"I will! God bless you!"

"God bless you, too, Fred!"

The Lord answered my prayer, displaying His sovereignty, grace, and awesome power in the process. Thank You, Lord!

I hope you will take the time to listen to the audio. My hope is that it will both encourage and challenge you.

Pray for Fred. Pray that the Lord will draw Him to genuine repentance and faith, and save his life. All for the glory of God!

No comments: