Thursday, September 04, 2008

Greater love has no one than this....

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13.

I took off work today and it was not an ordinary day off. My wife's father, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Lt. Pat Grimes was killed in the line of duty on May 26, 1978. My wife was 4 years old at the time. In the 30 years since there have many tears shed and many holidays and special events that Lt. Grimes has been sorely missed at.

I didn't know Lt. Grimes but from everything I have read, researched and been told tells me he was a great guy. He was loved by many and well on his way to even greater achievements with the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. With just 12 years of service, he had already entered middle management and until that fateful day over 30 years ago he seemed to be destined to accomplish great things.

Today, a bridge in my wife's hometown was named after her father. It was a proud day for so many in Pat's family that have missed him so much through the years.


Oklahoma Highway Patrol Commissioner Kevin Ward (above) speaks at the service dedicating the "OHP Lt. Pat Grimes Memorial Bridge."

It is unbelievable to think that long after the Lord calls me and my family home, this bridge will always be here as a reminder to the sacrifice and dedication that Lt. Grimes and his family have made for their community.


My son (above) with Oklahoma Lt. Governor Jari Askins.

While Pat left an incredible legacy of service behind and his death at the age of 36 left a wife and daughter heartbroken, he did something much more important before his death. It was more important than being a Trooper, Father or Husband. He gave his life to Jesus Christ by repenting and trusting in Jesus Christ alone as his Savior. Lt. Grimes did not lose his life in a shootout in 1978, he gained his life in eternity. My wife and my mother-in-law will one day see Pat again and I will one day meet him for the first time. His death was a tragedy for those left behind but at the same time there is a peace in knowing that Lt. Grimes is in Heaven and awaits our arrival.

1 comment:

TheBronze said...

http://www.odmp.org/officer/5772-second-lieutenant-james-pat-grimes