Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Behind the Scenes of Way of the Master Radio (04-24-07)

It was another great day of "street fishing," with Way of the Master Radio. I know I say that often, but it is true. Even on the days that don't go so well (which are rare), it's still a great blessing to be allowed to go fishing for men. But today was an exceptional day, and I thank God for it.

Today, Marissa (my daughter) and I spent our time on the campus of College of the Canyons. Marissa and her sister, Michelle, attend the college. It was a beautiful, Southern California afternoon, with lots of young people milling about the campus.

Our guest for the first hour of the show was Chris. Chris is a 19-year old student athlete. He is on the College of the Canyons track team, specializing in the long jump and the triple jump. Chris was a very thoughtful young man. He was both polite and introspective.

When I first contacted Chris, he admitted that he really had no idea what happens to people when they die. And, as most people do, he professed to be a "good person." What made Chris's views interesting was the fact that he would later claim to be a born-again follower of Jesus Christ. One would think that if a person was sure of their salvation they would know where they were going to spend eternity. But that wasn't the case with Chris.

My follow-up conversation with Chris focused on helping him to understand that he could not work his way to heaven. Chris spoke repeatedly of the things he planned to do to get right with the Lord--all of which were laudable enterprises. But he didn't talk about repentance and faith.

Finally, I asked Chris if he was born-again, if he had ever truly repented of his sin and put his trust and faith in Jesus Christ alone for his salvation. He said he had, but I must say that I wasn't convinced. Of course, I could be wrong. Why don't you listen to our conversation and let me know what you think.
Kat was our guest for the second hour. And it is conversations like the one I had with this personable young lady that, in part, fuels me to go out everyday hoping and praying to share the gospel with someone--anyone.

Kat is a broadcasting major who hopes to establish a career in the radio industry. She has a Catholic background but, admittedly, does not "practice" her faith.

Kat's conversation with Ray and Todd had a significant impact on her. She told Todd that no one had ever talked to her the way they did.

As much as I would love to write about my conversation with Kat, I would much rather have you listen to the conversation. When I asked her about the impact the conversation was having on her, with a quiver in her voice she said, "I don't want to go to hell."

I thought Kat was going to repent and receive Jesus Christ right there, on the cool grass, under the shade of a tree. If you listen closely to the end of our conversation, you will, I hope, understand why I do not lead people in a "sinner's prayer." I believe the Holy Spirit was clearly at work in this young lady's heart. However, it was also clear that Kat was not quite ready to repent and submit herself to the lordship of Jesus Christ. So, instead of prematurely leading her in a prayer, I prayed for her.

Will Chris and Kat come to genuine repentance and faith. I believe they will. I certainly hope they will. I can believe with hope because my trust is in the sovereignty of God, not in my ability to convince people to believe as I do. I am simply a seed sower--a fisher of men. Jesus Christ is the Lord of the harvest and He will fill the nets.

Today was one of those days when I looked to heaven and said, "Lord, I can't believe you allow me to serve you this way."

I am utterly unworthy, but oh so thankful.

1 comment:

Red Letter Believers said...

I see that we often 'miss out' on the language. I'm not talking lingo, but the heart of the people I love way of the master. Look at my blog post here:

http://redletterbelievers.blogspot.com/2007/04/what-language-are-we-speaking.html