Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cultural Agenda Set By Oprah

I walked into a break room at work yesterday and I picked up the Tuesday copy of USA Today. It's a paper I rarely read but something caught my eye: "Cultural Agenda is set by Oprah - not religious leaders."

What I saw was not only truly disturbing but something every true Chritian is aware of. A study by the Pew Research Center found that in America:

92% believed in God
58% pray once a day
74% say there is a Heaven
59% say there is a Hell.
and
70%, including the majority of Christians say "many religions can lead to eternal life."

While I often talk about how in America, the majority claims to be Christain, yet God's Word specifically tells us in Matthew 7:14 that few will find the way the disturbing statistic in this article broke my heart. Jesus Christ told us himself that there is only one way - "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

The majority of proclaiming Christians and 70% of Americans do not think that and those beliefs do not line up with Christianity.

Matthew 7:21-21: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

What a sad day that will be for the majority of Americans who believe they are Christians. Why is this?

Rev. Frank Page, Past President of the Southern Baptist Convention, said it very well: "The number of churches that teach a clear doctrinal Christianity are a minority today. How would people know it when they never hear about how to be saved? Jesus predicted this in Matthew 15:8, People honor me with their lips but their hearts are far from me."

What is Rev. Page talking about? It is a simple concept that is woven throughout the Bible and Jesus Christ specifically said in Mark 1:15: "And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel." (see also - Matthew 3:2, 3:8, 4:17.)

Our churches are rarely preaching repentance of sin - the turning away from sin and to God. It is easy to believe in God and not give up sin. Even demons do that (James 2:19) but that is not what will save anyone. Christianity is about turning from sin, being changed, sacrifice, willing to give anything up - including your life - for Jesus Christ. That message is not popular and will not fill up seats in the church. After all, the Bible tells us the road is narrow that leads to life(Matthew 7:14) and that means not a lot of folks in church buildings.

Now don't get me wrong, there are many wonderful churches that preach the true Gospel but far too many are herding a flock of unbelievers straight to Hell. How do I know this is the case (other than the disturbing statistics)? I talk to them every week. Professing Christians that tell me they are going to Heaven for a myriad of reasons, other than what the True Gospel of Jesus Christ says: "I'm a good person", "I asked Jesus in my heart", "I asked for forgiveness" and it goes on and on. When I explain to these professing Christians that no one is good and when judged we all will be found guilty of breaking God's Law and the only way to true salvation is a turning away from sin and a trust in Jesus Christ that involves much more than simple belief, they often tell me they didn't know that. These are people that sit in church each week and have never heard of the "narrow road" or that a lack of repentance will send them straight to Hell.

Rev. Page went on to say that "We still work as hard as we can to share the good news even though we know most will reject it."

What about you? Are you working "hard" to share the good news? For the sake of Americans, I certainly hope so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am surprised that the numbers shocked you. You are a cop after all. Oh yeah, I am a pessimist. Those numbers are sad though. They would be even worse if it was not for people like you!!!!