Thursday, May 15, 2008

May 15th - Peace Officers Memorial Day

Today is Peace Officers Memorial Day. It is a day this Country remembers our fallen officers from the past. It is a day we should all remember how fragile life is and how important it is to know God now.

Flags are supposed to be flown at half staff today. Sadly, I saw many in my community that weren't. Next year will not go by without a reminder in my community. I encourage you to do the same.


This is the day each year that our President speaks on the lawn of the Capital about the heroes that died the previous year. I took the above picture in 2006 when I attended this ceremony. Regardless of what you think about the President's politics, he is unbelievable in this ceremony. After he speaks, he spends hours with the families of fallen officers. The ceremony is actually stopped until he is done. He gives so much of himself and I watched in awe as he went to every family member and gave hugs, shook hands and took pictures. This is not the norm for this ceremony. I attended under a previous President and that did not happen.


Here is the President among the families as I watch.

No comments: