Saturday, May 24, 2008

Utah Struggles


I had the fortunate opportunity to travel to Salt Lake City, Utah this past week. I have been involved in emergency vehicle/pursuit training for over a decade and once in a while I get the opportunity to travel in that capacity. I would be shadowing members of the Utah Department of Public Safety for a few days to evaluate their training program. Before leaving I packed my usual array of books and tracts in hopes to give them out to the officers that I would meet. I had some additional plans on this trip. With the high Mormon Population and the large Temple located in Salt Lake City I had big plans. In fact, I told a few friends about those plans but as God would have it, His plans were different.

Let me first tell you about my plan (I kind of liked it). My schedule was tight but as soon as I stepped off the plane, I was going to head to the Salt Lake City Mormon Temple.

I was going to pass out a few Placebo Tracts to the visitors outside the Temple and see what conversations may be waiting for me. I was nervously anticipating my plan but as my plane landed I received a phone call that would eventually prevent me from visiting the Temple.

One of the individuals I needed to meet with while in town could only see me that evening. I missed an opportunity at the Temple but God would have other plans.

The Utah Department of Public Safety was gracious to give me a room for free at their academy. I knew what to expect and had plenty of experience staying in dorms but this room was different. I quickly noticed the two rooms, two televsions, two couches and a kitchen. Much to my surprise, I was given the room that belongs to the Commissioner of the Department of Public Safety when he is in Salt Lake City.

What an incredible opportunity to be around future law enforcement officers in the State of Utah for two days. I left as many tracts and books behind as I could and the Commissioner will have a copy of Take Up The Shield when he visits his dorm room again.

One misconception I hear about those that proclaim the Gospel is that "they have a gift" for it or it is somehow easy. I know for a fact that some of the greatest evangelists of our time often struggle with the same issues that other Christians use to not share their faith. I struggled mightily in Utah.

I had an evening free so I went to a popular mall where hundreds were gathering. I sat in my car scared to death and so upset that I couldn't seem to stand up and proclaim the Gospel like I wanted to. God is so gracious and at the same time I was asking God to give me courage, I received the following e-mail:

"...You are blessed and you have the favor of God on you wherever you go and whatever you do. You are the salt and you are the light of this earth in Jesus Name amen."

While my struggles continued, I was able to spread some tracts around the mall. I flew home home the next day and while my struggles continued, God had something wonderful waiting for me on a plane from Denver to Tulsa. Come back in a day to hear that story........

No comments: